Measure your worth

After being off of here for a few days for a little time well spent with my son and our family, I have done a lot of thinking about what the scale does to us and our self- worth/ self- esteem. Over the past few months, I have consistently lost and gained weight, but have lost 5 inches in my waist. Now, my size 18 pants are quite big on me, and i feel good in my skin...somewhat(besides pants that are too big on me... lol. )Sometimes, the weight on the scale really doesn't matter. I workout and eat right 80% of the time, and my body feels good!!!!! My body feels better than it EVER did when I was starving myself and putting my body through so much torture, trying to be society's version of perfect. For the first time in my life, i don't feel ugly and fat 24/7, 365 days a year. A few months ago, I relapsed into the mindset of restricting my calories and working out for hours at a time, just to lose nothing. I felt worthless and ugly and fatter than ever. Becoming a mama to my beautiful son almost 2 years ago, has made it harder to lose weight, and made the way I see my body, really hard to look in the mirror sometimes. In reality, no mom should feel the way I do sometimes; we should feel beautiful and empowered over what our body has done to create life, but society makes all mothers feel like we should just snap back 100% after they have a baby, or they are worthless. I feel terrible that I have had to put my body through so much, just to finally realize what I have needed to see all this time. You see, my scale has dictated my happiness for SO long(weighing myself 1/2 times EVERY day,) and for the first time in my life, I see where i went wrong.The scale measures weight...not muscle or happiness or love. Maybe that's why I have gained weight on the scale. ;-) I'm more full of love than ever !!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am still overweight, and I still have stuff to work on as far as my weight, but before I can get anywhere, I have to start from the top: the way I think and feel about myself. Berating myself and telling myself I am fat and ugly has gotten me literally nowhere. I wonder what starting to love myself will do. When you look at the scale, what do YOU see? Do you see a big or little number? Or do you see all of the happiness and love and every bit of your life that one body can hold?


































Comments

Popular posts from this blog